Plasmatronics External <span class="highlight">battery</span> <span class="highlight">temperature</span> sensor

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 12, 2008 at 19:06
ThreadID: 60725 Views:2065 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
A month ago I installed an external battery temperature sensor to my Plasmatronics PL20 solar regulator.

I have the PL20 set as follows :- BMAX = 14.5 v ABSV = 13.8 FLTV = 13.5

A few days after I connected the temperature sensor I checked the previous days data and noticed that the VMAX varied between 14.5 v and 15.1 v. The temperature reading was about 10 deg C. Normally voltages and S.G. readings are adjusted to 25 deg C and at 10 deg the electrolyte would be thicker and probably require more voltage to charge it.

My concern is that my batteries are AGM's and 15.1 volts is a bit high for them. It may have been only a momentary high voltage and probably wasn't on long enough to gas the batteries.

Will this harm the batteries and should I drop my BMAX setting or is this exactly how it all should work and I am worrying about nothing? I would appreciate any feedback.

Regards,
Bob
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended, And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars. Clancy of the Overflow.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2008 at 19:36

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2008 at 19:36
You need to obtain the data sheet for your particular batteries.

I am currently testing some AGM batteries, the manufacturer of which, specifies a maximum cyclic charging voltage of 15V0 at 25C.

Personally; I wouldn't get too stressed about it (this forum is silly on things like this) - providing their float voltage is not above 13V8 all will be well.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 320445

Follow Up By: richor - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2008 at 20:13

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2008 at 20:13
Thanks Mike. I am pretty sure the float voltage hasn't gone above 13V8. I will stop worrying. As an aside, I have tried to get data sheets for my batteries but haven't been able to. I know the maximum voltage is not supposed to go above 15V0 so I have turned off the equalisation. I just had a guess at the other figures. My batteries are over two years old and I haven't had any trouble with them. The state of charge hasn't been below 87% so that helps. Thanks again.

Regards,
Bob
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended, And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars. Clancy of the Overflow.

FollowupID: 587253

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2008 at 19:55

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2008 at 19:55
The voltage required to charge a battery varies widely with temperature. A cold battery requires a higher voltage to charge it than a hot battery. That is why the voltage starts high, then as the battery takes some charge and heats up a little the voltage output from the controller drops. As Mike said, don't worry about it - unless of course the voltage does not drop.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 320448

Follow Up By: richor - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2008 at 20:14

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2008 at 20:14
Thanks Nomadic Navara. I appreciate your reply.
Regards,
Bob

FollowupID: 587254

Sponsored Links